Note from the Blogger

These mini-reviews are intended to be short recommendations, not full blown literary reviews. Please feel free to add your own comments. -- Tim Drake

Monday, January 2, 2012

A Memoir: Happy Accidents (2011) By Jane Lynch


I usually alternate my reads, something heavy, followed by something light.  My last post was on endless warfare and genocide, it was truly time for something light. 

Happy Accidents is a Memoir by Jane Lynch, of Glee fame.  I’m not generally into celebrity autobiographies, something to do with their general tone of self-importance and the always evident self-censorship.  I would not have bought this book.  But, it was gifted to me, and a great gift it turned out to be.  What made it different?

Well, Jane Lynch is a Chicagoan – a product of Thornridge High School, a fan of the Brady Bunch and Happy Days, who paid her dues at Second City and the Annoyance Theater.  I do not know Jane, but I know this woman.  She was a Catholic girl with coming out issues and a related teenage drinking habit.   She had hysterically funny crushes, both real and imaginary.   And to top it off, after she finished college she apparently lived around the corner from me, often drinking the day away at The Half Shell … so that’s who that funny blond woman in the corner was! 

She’s ended up a Hollywood star (The 40-year Old Virgin, Two and a Half Men, and Glee), with a compelling story, worthy of an introduction by the one and only Carol Burnett, and has modestly termed her life a “happy accident” -- as was my decision to read the book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment